League of Women Voters

Kansas ID Needed for Voter Registration

You can register to vote either on paper by printing this form and return the complete form to your county election office (county addresses are listed on the back of the application). Or, if you have a valid Kansas driver's license or nondriver's ID card you can register to vote online.

Any person registering to vote in Kansas for the first time will be required to provide satisfactory evidence of US citizenship. If you do not submit citizenship documentation at the time you submit your registration application, you can submit it at a later date. You may either mail or deliver the document to the county election office by the close of business on the day before the election or submit it electronically (fax, email or other electronic means approved by the Secretary of State) by midnight the day before the election.

Valid citizenship documents include:

  • Driver's license or nondrivers ID card issued by the Division of Vehicles
  • Birth certificate that verifies US citizenship
  • US passport or pertinent pages of the applicant's US valid or expired passport identifying the applicant and the applicant's passport number
  • US naturalization documents or the number of the certificate of naturalization. (If only the number of the certificate of naturalization is provided, the applicant will not be included on the registration rolls until the number of the certificate of naturalization is verified with the US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services by the county election officer or the Secretary of State).
  • Other documents or methods of proof of US citizenship issued by the federal government pursuant to the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs card number, tribal treaty card number or tribal enrollment number
  • Consular report of birth abroad of a citizen of the US
  • Certificate of citizenship issued by the US Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services
  • Certification of report of birth issued by the US Department of State
  • American Indian card, with KIC classification, issued by the US Department of Homeland Security
  • Final adoption decree showing the applicant's name and US birthplace
  • US military record of service showing applicant's place of birth in the US
  • Extract from the a US hospital record of birth created at the time of the applicant's birth indicating the applicant's place of birth in the US

If the citizenship document submitted by a voter is deemed unsatisfactory due to an inconsistency between the citizenship document and the name or sex indication on the applicant's voter registration application, the applicant may sign a Form CDU explaining the inconsistency. The applicant must state the nature of the inconsistency, the reason for it, and must swear under oath that, despite the inconsistency, the applicant is the person reflected in the citizenship document.

If you cannot meet the citizenship verification requirement because you do not possess any of the documents listed above, you may:

  • If born in Kansas, apply for a free birth certificate using Form BCA and Form VS-235 10/09
  • If not born in Kansas, instructions for obtaining a birth certificate in another state or territory may be found at the National Center for Health Statistics website
  • Appeal to the state election board for consideration of the registration application by submitting Form RCD



DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-418-1682 (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.