League of Women Voters

Minnesota ID Needed for Voting

You only need ID to vote if you have not registered before arriving at the polling precinct. You may register to vote at your polling place on Election Day. Options of proof of residence are as follows:

ID with current name and address:

  • Valid Minnesota driver's license, Minnesota learner's permit, Minnesota ID card or a receipt for any of these
  • Tribal ID card with your name, address, photo and signature

Photo ID plus a document with current name and address:

Accepted photo IDs:

  • Driver's license, state ID card or learner's permit issued by any state
  • US passport
  • US military ID card
  • Tribal ID card with name, signature and photo
  • Minnesota university, college or technical college ID card
  • Minnesota high school ID card

Accepted documents:

  • Residential lease or rental agreement (must be valid through Election Day)
  • Current student fee statement
  • Bill, account or start of service statement due or dated within 30 days of election for: phone, TV, internet services, solid waste or sewer services, electric, gas, water, banking or credit card, rent or mortgage payments

Registered voter who can confirm your name and address:

A registered voter from your precinct can go with you to your polling place to sign an oath confirming your address. One registered voter can vouch for up to eight others

College student ID - if a student housing list was provided:

College students can use a student photo ID card if their college provided a student housing list to election officials.

Valid registration in same precinct:

If you were previously registered in the precinct but changed names or moved within the same precinct, you only need to tell the elections official your previous name or address. You are not required to provide any additional documentation.

Notice of late registration:

If you registered to vote too close to Election Day, you may have received a Notice of Late Registration in the mail. This notice can be used to register on Election Day.

Staff person of a residential facility:

If you live in a residential facility, a facility staff person can go with you to the polls to confirm your address.


Question Topic:

DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-418-1682 (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.