League of Women Voters

West Virginia


West Virginia Poll Worker Information

In order to be a poll worker in West Virginia:

  • You must be 18 years of age by the time of the next election:
  • You must be a resident of West Virginia
  • You must be registered to vote in the county you reside in
  • You must complete required training

You will be entitled to compensation

To sign up, contact your local board of elections.

West Virginia Early Voting

The County Clerk is responsible for early voting. The locations will be in the County Courthouse, annex or on the property of the courthouse. The regular period of early voting begins 13 days before the election and ends 3 days before the election. Voting is avaiable during regular business hours and on any Saturday on or between the 13th and 3rd days before the election.

Contact your county clerk for more information on times and locations.

West Virginia Registration Deadline

Not registered? Use our registration tool to fill out your application!

The registration deadline is 21 days before the election. You can now register to vote online! Fill out the forms found here to submit your registration application.

West Virginia Provisional Voting

If there is a question about your eligibility to vote in an election, you may vote a provisional ballot. You might vote a provisional ballot if:

West Virginia ID Needed for Voter Registration

If you register in person, you must bring proof of physical address. Examples include a driver's license, utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, or other government document.

If you are registering by mail, fill out the application and remember to submit a copy of a current and valid ID or bring proof of identification with you to the polls. Valid proof of ID include a photo ID, utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or any other official government document that shows your name a and address.

West Virginia Overseas and Military Voters

You are a Military or Overseas voter if you are in uniformed services, living overseas OR a spouse or dependant of a uniformed services voter. To get registered and vote, you can utilize Overseas Vote Foundation.

If you have additional questions about elections and voting overseas you can use our state specific elections official directory or contact the Overseas Vote Foundation.

West Virginia16

Information on local, state and federal candidates and ballot measures may be available here.

To see a list of available races, visit the race index.

West Virginia17

If your health or disability does not permit you to go to the polls, you may get a mail in ballot. Be sure to apply early enough so that your application reaches the clerk at least six days before the election. If you are permanently unable to go to the polls, you may apply to be placed on the permanent absentee voting list to vote by mail. A doctor's statement must be filed with your application, but once approved, the clerk will automatically send you an absentee ballot before each election.

West Virginia12

West Virginia law states that private and public employers must give employees time off to vote, unless the employee has 3 hours nonworking time available to vote or the employee fails to vote.


DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-418-1682 (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.

Subscribe to RSS - West Virginia