League of Women Voters

Arizona ID Needed for Voter Registration

The simplest form to use for your voter registration in Arizona is the Standard Federal Registration Form which requires those registering to vote to swear an oath that they’re American citizens. The Arizona State Registration form requires additional proof of citizenship that may create barriers and impose financial costs for potential citizen registrants. You can find the federal standardized form in English here and in Spanish here. For more language options go here.

If you register to vote using the Arizona State Registration form, the following will serve as proof of citizenship and no additional documents are needed:

  • An Arizona driver license or non-operating identification number issued after October 1, 1996: write the number in box 13 of the Arizona Voter Registration form
  • A Tribal Identification number (Bureau of Indian Affairs Card Number, Tribal Treaty Card Number, or Tribal Enrollment Number): write the number in box 16 of the Arizona Voter Registration form
  • The number from your certificate of naturalization: write the number in box 20 of the Arizona Voter Registration form

If you do not have the above information, you must attach proof of citizenship to the form. Only one acceptable form of proof is needed to register to vote. The following is a list of acceptable documents to establish your citizenship:

  • A legible photocopy of a birth certificate that verifies citizenship and supporting legal documentation (i.e. marriage certificate) if the name on the birth certificate is not the same as your current legal name
  • A legible photocopy of pertinent pages of a United States passport identifying the applicant
  • Presentation to the County Recorder of United States naturalization documents
  • A legible photocopy of a driver license or non-operating identification from another state within the United States if the license indicates that the applicant has provided satisfactory proof of citizenship
  • A legible photocopy of a Tribal Certificate of Indian Blood or Tribal or Bureau of Indian Affairs Affidavit of Birth.

If you are registered in Arizona and use the registration form because you move within a county, change your name, or change your political party affiliation, you do not need to provide photocopies of proof of citizenship. You only need to provide proof of citizenship if you are a new resident in an Arizona county.


DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-YALLA-US (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.