League of Women Voters

Kansas ID Needed for Voting

Voters must show photo ID when casting a vote. Acceptable forms of ID include:

  • A driver's license or nondriver's ID card issued by Kansas, or by another state or district in of the U.S.
  • A concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas, or a concealed carry of handgun or weapon license issued by another state or district of the U.S.
  • A U.S. passport
  • An employee badge or ID document issued by a municipal, county, state, or federal government office or agency
  • A military ID issued by the U.S.
  • A student ID card issued by an accredited postsecondary institution of education in the state of Kansas.
  • A public assistance ID card issued by a municipal, county, state, or federal government office or agency.
  • An ID card issued by an Indian tribe

Photo ID is also required for early voting and absentee voting. EXCEPTIONS AVAILABLE: Persons over 65 may use expired documentation as proof of identity.

FREE ID: ID cards for persons over 17 years old are free if the applicant signs an affidavit attesting that the ID is needed for purposes of voting in Kansas and that the applicant does not possess any other form of identification qualifying as acceptable ID for voting. The applicant must also produce evidence that he/she is a registered voter in Kansas. Find that affidavit here. Unique among the states, Kansas provides free birth certificates to persons born in Kansas if needed to acquire a photo ID for voting.


Question Topic:

DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-YALLA-US (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.