League of Women Voters

Texas ID Needed for Voting

If you  have one of the below forms of ID, you must show one at the polling location before you can cast a vote. If you do not have one of these forms of ID you may still cast a normal ballot! See below for more information.

Types of acceptable ID:

  • Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
  • Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
  • Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
  • Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS
  • United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
  • United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
  • United States passport

All forms of ID (except the citizenship certificate) mush be current or have expired no more than four years before showing at the polling place.

If you do not have any of these forms of ID but still wish to vote, you may do so by signing a declaration saying you have a "reasonable impediment" (such as lack of transportation, disability or illness, lack of birth certificate or other documents needed to get an acceptable photo ID, whork schedule, family responsibilites, lost or stolen photo ID or you've applied for a photo ID but you have received it yet) to obtaining one of these forms of ID. You must also show some alternative form of ID, such as:

  • Valid voter registration certificate
  • Original copy of your certified birth certificate
  • Current utility bill
  • Current bank statement
  • Government check
  • Current paycheck
  • Any other government document that shows your name and address

A student ID is not a form of vailid voter ID.

Once you sign the form and show your ID you will be able to cast a normal ballot at your polling place.

The name on your photo ID and the list of registered voters must match. If your name is substantially similar (if it's slightly different, is a common variation of your formal name, contains an initial, middle name or former last name or your first, middle or last name is in a different field on the ID than on the list of registered voters) you may still be able to vote a normal ballot. However, you mush also submit an affidavit stating tha tyou are the same person as is listed on the list of registered voters.

If you do not have any of these forms of ID, you can get an Election Identification Certificate to present at the polling place. To find out more about these certificates, click here.


Question Topic:

DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-418-1682 (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.