League of Women Voters

Wisconsin ID Needed for Voting

Photo ID is required before you may vote.

The following types of photo ID are acceptable and may be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election:

  • A Wisconsin DOT issued drivers license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT issued ID card
  • Military ID card issued by a US uniformed service
  • US Passport (booklet or card)
  • A photo ID card issued by a Wisconsin accredited university or college that contains date of issuance, signature of student and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance. Also, the university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves enrollment (may be used even if expired before the most recent general election).

The following types of ID are acceptable if they are unexpired:

  • Certificate of naturalization that was issued no earlier than two years before the date of the election
  • Driving receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)
  • ID card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT (valid for 45 days)
  • Citation or notice of intent to revoke or suspend a Wisconsin DOT issued drivers license that is dated within 60 days of the date of the election.
  • Veteran's photo ID card issued by the Veterans Health Administration of the federal Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Temporary ID card receipt issued by Wisconsin DOT through the Identification Petition Process (IDPP) (valid for 180 days)

You may show an ID card issued by a federally recognized Indian tribe in Wisconsin as well, if it is expired or unexpired.

The address on your photo ID card does not have to be current. The name on your photo ID card dose not need to be an exact match for your name in the poll book.

Free photo ID cards available.

If you need a photo ID card in order to vote you can take any of the following documents (original copies only, no photocopies) to your DMV office and fill out an application for ID. You will need one document from each category below to satisfy the application. Your ID will be sent to you through the mail. You will receive a receipt that is valid for 45 days that you can use at the polls until your card arrives.

If you do not have a birth certificate or other documents, you can still obtain a document for voting that is valid for 180 days after one visit to the DMV using its petition process known as IDPP.

Proof of Name and Date of Birth:

  • Certified birth certificate from Wisconsin
  • Certified birth certification from another state or territory of the United States or a certificate of birth abroad issued by the US Department of State. Wisconsin will NOT accept any Puerto Rican birth certificate certified before July 1, 2010.
  • Current, non-expired, US passport
  • Valid foreign passport with federal I-551 or I-94, arrival and departure record
  • Valid Wisconsin driver license/DOT issued ID card with your photo and signature
  • Federal I-551 Alien Registration Receipt Card
  • Feder I-94 Arrival-Departure Record (Parole or Refugees Version), a reception and placement program assurance form plus a letter from sponsoring agency and MV3002
  • US Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570)
  • Us Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
  • Federal temporary resident card or employment authorization card (I-688, I-688B or I-766)
  • Native American ID Card issued in Wisconsin by a federally recognized tribe
  • Court order with court seal related to the adoption or divorce of the individual or to a name or gender change that includes the person's current full legal name, date of birth and the person's prior name. This does not include an abstract of criminal or civil conviction
  • Armed Forces of the US ID card; Common Access Card of DD Form 2
  • TSA Transpiration Worker ID Credential (TWIC card)

Proof of Identity:

  • A valid WI or out-of-state driver license (not a Canadian driver license) with your photo. Temporary out-of-state driving receipts are not acceptable
  • Military discharge papers, including Federal DD-214
  • US Government and Military Dependent ID Card
  • A valid WI or out of state ID card (not Canadian) with your photo
  • Certified copy of a Marriage Certificate or Judgment of Divorce
  • Social Security Card issued by the Social Security Administration
  • If you are under 18, your parent or legal guardian can show a valid WI driver license or ID card to confirm your identity
  • TSA Transportation Worker ID Credential (TWIC card)

Proof of Citizenship or Legal Status:

  • US state or local government-issued certificate of birth (certified copy - birth registration and hospital certificates are not acceptable)
  • Valid US passport
  • US Certificate of Citizenship (federal form N-560 or N-561)
  • US Certificate of Naturalization (federal form N-550 or N-570)
  • DHS/Transportation Security Administration (TSA) transportation worker ID credential

Proof of Wisconsin Residency:

  • Employee photo ID card issued by your current employer, containing your employer's name and address. Your employer's telephone number may be required for verification.
  • Pay check or stub or earning statement with your name and WI address, and your employer's name and address, issued within the last 90 days. Your employer's telephone number may be required for verification
  • A utility bill for water, gas, electricity or landline telephone service issued within the last 90 days. Cable or similar bundles of service that include landline telephone service is included in this category. Electronic copies are acceptable
  • Cell phone bills. Electronic copies are acceptable
  • An account statement from a WI bank/financial institution issued within the last 90 days. This includes savings, checking or money market accounts held in banks or credit unions. Electronic copies are acceptable
  • Certified school record or transcript that identifies you by name, shows your current address and is issued within the last 90 days for the most recent school period
  • Mortgage documents for a residential property located in Wisconsin
  • Community based/assisted living residential contracts
  • Your current valid homeowner, renter or motor vehicle insurance policy dated within one year of application
  • Government issued correspondence or product issued within the last 90 days from a federal, state, county or city agency
  • Department of Corrections document: Letters from probation/parole agents on letterhead issued within the last 90 days
  • Your college enrollment document or Form 2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status with your current WI address
  • A photo ID card issued by a WI accredited university or college that contains the following: date of issuance, signature of student, and an expiration date no later than two years after date of issuance. The university or college ID must be accompanied by a separate document that proves student's current address (housing contract or lease)
  • Valid Wisconsin hunting or fishing license.

If you are an absentee voter or have a sincere religious belief against being photographed, you may not need to show a photo ID in order to vote.

If you're in the military, live permanently overseas or are classified as a confidential elector, you do NOT need a photo ID to cast your absentee ballot.

If you are indefinitely confined (have difficulty traveling to the polling place due to age, physical illness, infirmity or disability), or live in a nursing home or care facility, you do NOT need to show your photo ID to vote.

If you wish to obtain an ID for voting purposes, but have spiritual beliefs which prevent you from being photographed, you can receive a State ID card without a photo at any DMV office.

For more information about photo ID please view your state's resource.


Question Topic:

DonateKeep VOTE411 Online!
The League depends on the generosity of VOTE411 users! If you found this information valuable, help us continue the work! Donate Now!


Election Day Problems?

Call one of these hotlines:
1-866-OUR-VOTE (866-687-8683)
1-888-VE-Y-VOTA (en Español)
1-888-API-VOTE (Asian multilingual assistance)
1-844-418-1682 (Arabic)


Donations to the LWVEF, a 501(c)(3) organization, are tax-deductible. The LWVEF tax id number is 53-0239013.