All citizens wishing to vote must be on the official list of registered voters. Voters may use one of seven (7) forms of photo ID, listed below. IDs may be expired up to four years. Persons seventy years of age or older may use an expired ID.

  • Driver license

  • Texas Election Identification Certificate (EIC)

  • Texas Personal Identification Card issued by DPS

  • Texas license to carry a handgun issued by DPS

  • US military identification card containing the person’s photograph

  • US citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph

  • US passport (book or card)

Registered voters without photo ID, who cannot reasonably obtain one, may sign a form and present the original or a copy of one of the following documents with the voters name and address to vote a regular ballot:

  • Voter registration card

  • Certifiedbirthcertificate

  • Current utility bill

  • Bankstatement

  • Government check

  • Paycheck

  • Any other government document such as an out of state driver’s license or ex- pired Texas driver’s license.

The form is called a “Voter’s Declaration of Reasonable Impediment or Difficulty.” The voter must mark on the form one of the following reasons for not providing a photo ID.*

  • Lack of transportation

  • Disability or illness

  • Lack of birth certificate or other documents needed to obtain an acceptable form of photo ID.

  • Work schedule

  • Family responsibilities

  • Lost or stolen identification

  • Acceptable form of photo ID applied for but not received

*ID address does not have to match the voter registration address.

A student ID is not a form of vailid voter ID.

Once you sign the form and show your ID you will be able to cast a normal ballot at your polling place.

The name on your photo ID and the list of registered voters must match. If your name is substantially similar (if it's slightly different, is a common variation of your formal name, contains an initial, middle name or former last name or your first, middle or last name is in a different field on the ID than on the list of registered voters) you may still be able to vote a normal ballot. However, you must also submit an affidavit stating that you are the same person as is listed on the list of registered voters.

If you do not have any of these forms of ID, you can get an Election Identification Certificate to present at the polling place. To find out more about these certificates, click here.