You will be asked to provide identification at the polling place if you fit specific criteria.
The criteria are:
- You are voting for the first time in Maryland
- You registered to vote by mail on or after January 1, 2003
- You have not previously met the identification requirements
If you registered to vote by mail after January 1, 2006, you most likely satisfied the identification requirement during the registration process. If you did not satisfy the requirement, your county election board will have notified you and requested information to satisfy the identification requirement. You can satisfy the identification requirement by providing one of the following:
- A copy of a current and valid photo ID (i.e., Maryland driver's license, MVA-issued ID card, student, employee or military ID card, U.S. passport, or any other state or federal government issued ID card.)
- A copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.